Saturday 2 January 2016

Panic by Lauren Oliver

Hey Guys,

Welcome to my second review of 2016. It still blows my mind that it's 2016. Today I'm going to review Panic by Lauren Oliver. Hence title. No long intros let's get down to it.

So first of all this really didn't go the way I expected it to go. I had a rough idea of what it was about but it turned out the game was a lot more structured than I anticipated.
All of the characters were OK they were well written but they all seemed a bit selfish. I particularly hated Nat. I like how all the characters had very different motivation for playing the game, and the mystery and a tad scary element to it gave it an edge. It is not a scary book, though has a thrilling, heart racing feeling.

Overall I would give it 3/5 mainly because I feel towards the end it felt less thrilling and exciting.
Click Read More to read my spoilery review, and for those who haven't read it and are leaving now.Bye xx

So first of all what I found interesting was that although we got Heather's and Dodge's POV I felt more of a dominance from Nat's and Bishop's characters.
What I mean about it being 'more structured' is that it was an actually game which was not what was expected.I knew that it was about kids throwing themselves into danger to see who could not die the best and I knew it involved money, but it was an actual structured which didn't necessarily work better but it was a different dynamic.
The beginning kind of confused me because I had no idea what was going on, I assumed it was in the middle of the game but we never came back to the beginning moment.
I felt kind of sorry for Nat when she made it 9 seconds and was only one second out of making it through, but I didn't like her.
I realised straight away that Heather was going to be in the car that would explode, the one Dodge had rigged and was immensely worried that she was going to get killed in the explosion because she was the only character I actually sort of liked.
We finished on a scene of all of them going to the beach that panic started on and I think that was a good note to end on as it added a certain innocence to the book.
That's all I have time for so see you very soon, probably with a another review. Bye xx
- A

No comments:

Post a Comment