Sunday 21 February 2016

Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover

Hey guys,

Yes I managed to squeeze another Colleen Hoover in there, she's just so good. So yes, today I am reviewing Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover.

This is book two in the 'slammed' series, and I loved it. I can't say much about it as it is book two, and I want to avoid spoilers at all costs. But, I can tell you that the first book, more than this one, revolves around slam poetry. Slam is a type of poetry that centres more around the way it's spoken and the meaning behind the words, than the actual rhyme and rhythm.

I preferred the first book in some places, I liked the different relationships. But, there were things I much preferred in the second one.
I plan to read This Girl as well, which I believe is the first book, but from Will's point of view.

The picture is small today. It's actually quite cute.
Anyway, that is all for today's non-spoilery post. You can click Read more>> below to enjoy my breakdown of all the things that happened. But, before I go, a quick reminder: don't forget to pick up Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys. It is our February pick for An Infinite Philosophy, so hop on that. Until next time...



Welcome to my ocean of spoilers...

So let's start from the beginning. I don't think I love any relationship more that Will and Lake's, actually that's a lie. But, they are really cute. We get given a vase full of stars that Julia made in the last book before she died, I like how it was used and loved throughout the story.

One of the main themes through the book is how both Lake and Will end up raising their brothers. I kind of find the situation, not convenient, but strangely paralleled. We meet Kiersten in this book; she was really fun to read about. She seemed so comfortable in her own skin, yet she was being bullied. I like the way everything was dealt with during the book.

One small thing I liked was the way butterfly became a swear word, and how Kiersten included it in her poem. We didn't get as much poetry in this book. That's probably the only thing I didn't enjoy. I loved to read the poetry, it was so well written; but, the poetry we did get was fantastic.

Will and Lake's argument also takes a massive part of this book. I think Lake sort of over reacted at first, but after she explained I could see where she was coming from. I do think however, that she was being a little childish with trying to steal the stars back. We also met and left Reece, his behaviour kind of reminded me of Maybe Someday, just in the way he acted.

We also met Vaughn, really didn't like her. She seemed sweet but with the wrong intentions. I hated how she pulled Lake and Will apart. She felt kind of manipulative, and clingy; not a good match.

I think the worst part of the whole book was...
Lake's car crash. I don't mean bad as in I didn't think it was good, I mean bad as in for the characters and story. It was a nightmare. The worst thing was you could really feel Will's angst and panic.

That has got to be one of the longest spoiler sections I've ever written. I do have another two posts coming really soon, either today or tomorrow. But until then it is good bye...

- A



No comments:

Post a Comment