Thursday 19 May 2016

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

Hey Guys,

So I'm back again with another review, this time it is actually our book of the month for May; A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas. Once again I was the first to finish this, in fact I finished this around a week ago, but I'm only getting around to reviewing it now.
So, don't forget to pick it up, and we will see you for the collab review at the end of May. Let's get on with the review...

At first when I started this I was unsure of what was going to happen, I was satisfied with the end of ACOTAR and I thought this wasn't going to be very good. I was very much wrong, I loved this book. The writing and the descriptions were beautiful, as well as all the new and the older characters. The whole book just pretty much blew my mind. As you can tell I loved it, and I recommend you go and give it a read.

It is the second book in a trilogy, the third isn't out yet. But, the book mainly focuses on the immortal Fae. There is a girl called Feyre who gets mixed up in all the Fae business. That's all I can really say, but I do recommend it, along with all of Sarah J. Maas's books.





So this is where I depart from all of the non-spoileries in the house. I, once again, will tell you that you should definitely pick this up, and stay tuned for the end of month collab review.
If you have read this and are interested in hearing my thoughts on more specific parts click Read more >> or just scroll down.

Welcome to my realm of spoilers...

I was organised with this book and tabbed my favourite parts, so I'll go through those at first.

Right. The sex scenes in this book, all of them were fan fiction level. If you've read Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover, it was like, that bad. My friend who gets grossed out by those things, was just cringing her way through this. I actually tabbed the first scene with Tamlin. I get the whole reason she wrote those scenes with Tamlin, I think it was to emphasise their unhealthy relationship.

My next tab was actually the wedding when Rhysand arrives, I had a massive spaz when he came. If you weren't aware I am a little bit obsessed with Rhysand, and I was shipping him from the start. I am a faithful shipper, I don't chop and change to suit the main character. But when he says "Hello. Feyre darling" I just could not stop smiling. This moves me on to my next tab, when Feyre is learning to read and write, which I think was a great touch, and she has to copy out lines. I think I laughed for half an hour about the Rhysand is the most attractive High Lord lines she had to copy out.

The scene with the weaver, that really creeped me out. I was imagining her as some sort of spider lady, I'm not sure why, but the song she was singing was just really chilling, and what Feyre went through in there had me in a right panic.

Moving on, the first point I cried. This was on page 427, I just got really emotional at Feyre's speech about Rhys and Tamlin. I think it was partly because it was the first sure sign of her sticking with Rhysand for good.

Very shortly after was the scene where we finally meet Lucien again. I'm not sure how I feel about Lucien, I think he wants to be a good guy, but he is too loyal to Tamlin, who we all hate. I think I want him to realise what Tamlin is doing and break loyalty. I was not expecting him and Elain to be mates, but I'll talk through the end later.

That was my last tab, so I'll discuss other bits and bobs. First of all I would just like to bring to light my incredible sixth sense, prediction. I knew from the start that we couldn't trust Ianthe, something about her unsettled me, and at the end I was right. I think I actually want to live in Velaris, it sounds like the most beautiful place, and I also knew we couldn't trust the Mortal Queens, I really hate the Queens for betraying Velaris, it's my current favourite literary place ever.

Finally, we come to the end. Prepare yourself. So first of all we have the plan, I was so hoping that it would actually work, but of course it didn't. When we found out that Tamlin was working with the King of Hybern I wanted to punch that Fae in the face so hard. Then to find out the Queens had also betrayed them for a chance at immortality, I think I just swore violently under my breath for like 30 minutes, just at them. I did, however like to golden Queen's honesty.
As a trial for the queens, they brought in Elain and Nesta, I was glad it worked on them, even though I desperately wanted them to stay human. I hope that it fails on the Queen's because they aren't strong willed enough or something, I just want them to die. I couldn't believe that Elain was Lucien's mate, I gasped so hard, it just complicates everything, but I think that was the intention.
I really hope with all my heart that Cassian's wings are OK. I loved their friendship group, and I hope we get to see more of that in the future, but I know how important Cassian's wings are to him and I hope they're OK.
When the bargain broke between Feyre and Rhysand I was literally in despair, I actually thought it was their mating bond, this is the point were I think I hit hysterics. And, finally, that final sentence about the High Lady of the Night Court, I thought that was such a powerful ending and it literally blew me away. just a quick note, through everything I just wrote above in the final paragraph I was literally in floods of tears, I actually water damaged a few of the pages.

So, there we go. I'm sorry it's so long but one paragraph at the end of the month wasn't going to be enough to convey all of my feelings. I hope you struggled through that, it took a while to write, and I was quite delerious by the time I finished it. I'll see you soon...

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment