Wednesday 3 August 2016

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Hey guys,

After my short break I'm back to review everything! Like, ever. During the BookTube-a-Thon I did actually finish some books which I did promise I'd review plus I really need to rant to someone about all of the stuff that went down. I feel like I haven't reviewed in ages though I know I have.
Today I will be reviewing Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

I'd like to start by saying holy hell! This book started off as a nice simple contemporary with a bit of character development and an intense love story but no, it got insane. I did enjoy the story line and I'm really looking forward to reading the sequel. I think the characters both had issues which were really well approached during the book. And, as the trademark for a Colleen book the main character had a tragic past, I think the issues were approached very sensitively but they were also a bit extreme. I really REALLY enjoyed it, to the point where I couldn't put it down.

The book mainly focuses on a girl called Sky Davis who meats a boy called Holder. Together they begin to discover her and his past. It sounds cheesy but it is really good. I think all the little details are best for you to figure out when you read it for yourself.





Another non-spoiler section done. I would really recommend this along side any other Colleen Hoover book as they are all spectacular.
I would also recommend that you go pick up our book of the month which is now It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover, funnily enough. I will see you soon...
Onto the spoilers:

Welcome to my past of spoilers...

Shall we begin with the beginning. I really enjoyed Sky as a main character, I personally could relate quite a lot as I enjoy reading as well. Also, I have similar feelings about running, so it was nice to really connect with the main character.

I thought the main plot line was going to centre around Holder and discovering what secrets he was holding (get it Holder holding secrets) but what I wasn't expecting was the way everything he was with holding related to Sky's past.

I really enjoyed Sky and Karen's relationship, I think Karen's strictness was well balanced with her lenience towards Sky, it made their bond feel a lot more realistic.
I actually really liked Karen so when we found out about the kidnapping it made me suspicious about her character. I didn't think the Karen we'd got to know was capable of doing something so extreme.
I enjoyed Sky's resilience and how she actually added to the notes left on her locker to make them more creative.

I like to mention my sixth sense of prediction whenever I can, so I'd like to bring to light the fact that I guessed about what Sky's father did to her. It was a complete shock about Leslie and I felt so sorry for Holder in that situation. I think one of the saddest scenes is when Holder is finally discovering all the reasons behind Leslie's suicide.

I think another really sad scene is when Sky is begging Holder to have sex with her so she can take away the fact that her father has been the only one. I think that was the point where all my suspicions were confirmed which was actually quite sad.

I was not expecting her fathers suicide, it came as quite a shock when he pulled out his gun. The aftermath was so much worse with them in shower. I was genuinely concerned for Sky's mental health at that point.

Another really strong scene for me was the one where Sky and Holder came home; and Sky and Karen talked about everything. In the end it came to light that Karen was actually not a bad person which I was quite satisfied with as it took away one antagonist.

I actually want to mention the sequel which is titled 'Losing Hope'. As this was such an insane book, I hope the next one is a bit calmer. The title sounds quite depressing, but I'm hoping it will relate to Sky losing her past self aka: Hope.

I hope you enjoyed this review, feel free to leave your thoughts about this book in the comments. I'm planning on catching up with a lot of missed reviews soon so look out for all of those. see you soon xx

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment