Thursday 4 August 2016

Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill

Hey Guys,

Today I'm going to be reviewing a book I didn't read during BookTube-a-Thon, I actually bought this one at YALC. However, I have such strong opinions about this book that I really wanted to review it now instead of waiting. That book is Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill.

Whilst at YALC we attended the 'Morally complicated in YA' panel where four different authors, including Louise, talked about morals and censorship in their books. After reading this book I can certainly agree that the main character is 100% morally complicated, but then again so is the whole book.
It was a really interesting book to read as it was the complete opposite to what everyone is striving for right now. It was so anti-feminism it kind of registered as a culture shock.
The main character is someone you feel pity for and sympathise with but you’re not sure why. She is quite nasty without realizing it, and so dangerously needy.

The book is mainly about owning women and general female oppression it's quite a hard book to sum up as it covers so many topics. However, it is one of the best books I've ever read, it's massively eye opening to how far women have come. I was literally hooked from page one, which is odd because it's not like an insane amount happens it's just so well. Nothing but praise.


I would so recommend this book, I'm really excited to read her other book 'Asking for it' it sounds just as good.
This is where I tell all the non-spoilerys to depart and read the book, and we cool people who have read it can venture forward...





Welcome to my underground of spoilers...

For this review I'd like to focus more on themes than specific scenes as that are what stands out to me. So let's begin with the beginnings much as possible.

The first thing that stood out to me was the fact that none of the girls had capitalised names, this to me shows that they are objects instead of real people which I think is extremely clever.
I think it's really interesting to read about a world where women are oppressed to the point of non-existence. I think their designed perfection is only something that can be fleeting as style changes.

I think one of the strongest scenes in the entire book is on page 36 where there are flashing images of things like 'the perfect legs' and the way freida immediately begins to compare herself and think that she is wrong. The motto 'there is always room for improvement' is used quite frequently, it's such a bad motto to be pushing on impressionable young teens.

I think another thing that really stood out was the stark difference in careers for the girls/eves. They really are gender stereotypes stripped right down to the basics.
They basically say you can be a wife and do all of the chores and have children. You can be a prostitute, or you can be a nun. They are so wrong but really fit the story well.

I think freida's drug addiction was something that really decided her fate for her. It was one of those things that I didn't realize until it was actually happening. Her striving to be perfect for Darwin also brought about the end of her.
I think the general competitive nature was glossed over in the way men expect woman to behave. They pretend that they are all friends whilst constantly comparing themselves to each other, and hating on one another. I think megan also filled the role of typical mean girl, her ego was majorly inflated by her status and rating.

I think another scene that really stood out was the final Heavenly Seventy with Darwin where freida has sex with him in the hope to seduce him into choosing her for companionship. I think that was where you begin to question why you’re sympathising with such a horrible person. freida was definitely not the worst of all the girls.

I think male stereotyping comes into play as well with the other Inheritants, for instance when Socrates is trying to have sex with frieda it brings out the stereotype of men as well.

I think if I right any more my fingers will fall off. I hope you enjoyed this review; I'd love for your comment your feelings about this book I really want to know what you thought.
Happy Reading!

-A

1 comment: